Friday, April 24, 2009

Easy Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas

Have I mentioned that we LOVE Mexican? This is our go-to enchilada recipe (well, um, actually its the only one I've ever made. But it works! Maybe I'll branch out next time?) courtesy of Josh's friend Estee. And its cheesy too!
Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
Makes a lot - last time we filled 8 (8"?) tortillas, but we filled them really full. You could easily make 12-16 tortillas by not filling them so that they barely close. Or you could use the smaller tortilla size and make probably 16-20.

6 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I used about 1.3 lbs, boiled the chicken, then shredded it.)
1 cup chopped onion (I used about 1.5 cups - 1 big onion)
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1 Tbsp. chili powder (scale back if you don't like things too hot, I actually use ~2 Tbsp.)
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese (I use 1/3 less fat)
1 cup salsa (I used about 1.3 cups)
8 oz. shredded cheese, cheddar or Mexican blend (ha! I used a bag and a half, so more like 12 oz.)
1/4 c. chopped black olives (I omitted since we don't like olives. And I didn't feel like I was missing out at all.)
12-16 flour tortillas (I used 8 whole wheat tortillas and stuffed them so they barely closed. Flour tortillas are definitely better though, but the wheat don't taste too bad if you are watching your carbs.)
2 cans (14 oz each) enchilada sauce (my cans were only 10 oz each and I used 2)
sour cream, salsa, and chopped green onions for serving

DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute for ~5 min.
2. Add chili powder and garlic powder to the onions and stir.
3. Turn the heat to low. Add the cream cheese in globs over low heat, and stir until melty.
4. Stir in the cooked, shredded chicken.
5. Stir in the salsa. If the mixture looks a little dry, add some more salsa. Stir and let cook for about 3-5 min. Now is a great time to preheat the oven to 350 deg F, and spray some non stick spray in the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish (this might not be big enough. You might need 2 baking dishes if you don't overfill your tortillas).
6. Now stir in 1.5 cups of the shredded cheese (or a little more) and the olives if using. Turn off the heat.
7. Pour one can of enchilada sauce into the bottom of the baking dish.
8. Spoon some of the mixture into each tortilla, and place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat until the chicken mixture is all used up. Smoosh them all together so they all fit.
9. Pour the second can of enchilada sauce over the top of the tortillas. Top with remaining cheese. Open a second bag of cheese if necessary.
10. Bake at 350 deg F for 15-20 min. Serve with salsa and sour cream. Also nice to top with a few green onions if you have any (which I did not). Enjoy!
REVIEW:
Yummy! This makes A LOT of food. It lasts ~3 meals for us, and we don't mind eating it over and over at all! Its a regular in the rotation. It sounds like a lot of steps, but the recipe is pretty quick to put together once you have the chicken cooked and shredded. I'll be submitting this recipe to Joelen's Foodie Films event, featuring Mexican inspired dishes. Not very original, but it fits the bill!

2 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous! You could even submit this to the Foodie Films blogging event where we are featuring mexican inspired recipes! Details are in my blog's left sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this last night and it was so good!!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete