Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Squash and White Bean Soup

I saw this recipe in a Real Simple magazine, and it was perfect for the cooler, overcast day we had today. I really like incorporating seasonal fruits and vegetables into my meals, and butternut squash were already on sale at my grocer. The flavors in this soup we kind of subtle, and Josh found it a little bland, but I really liked it and am looking forward to the leftovers!

Butternut Squash and White Bean Soup
source: Real Simple; serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes (I roughly chopped about 2 cups fresh tomatoes from my garden)
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (~4 cups)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
5 c. water
2 15-ounce cans cannellini (great northern) beans, rinsed (I used a 24 oz jar)
1 bunch spinach, thick stems removed (~4 cups)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven (or stock pot) over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
2. Stir in the squash, thyme, 5 cups water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes (mine took about 25 min to be tender enough for me). Stir in the beans and spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted and the beans are heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.

REVIEW:
Since Josh thought this was a little too bland, next time I will try subbing at least half the water for vegetable stock to see if that helps. I served with imitation Red Lobster biscuits, though real Simple suggested some parmesan biscuits. I liked the fact that the soup itself was quite healthy and contained lots of veggies!

1 comment: