Saturday, January 23, 2010

Crockpot Apricot Chicken

Its been kind of a slow month on the posting front. Josh and I have been sticking with some old favorites, and making lots of quick chicken dishes that don't often deserve their own post.

And here we are with another crockpot recipe. I haven't been good about menu planning lately, and I find the best plan for frozen chicken is to throw it the crockpot. This recipe is great because of the few ingredients required. I happened to have a jar of apricot preserves in the pantry, so all I had to get was the onion soup mix - everything else I had on hand. I served with rice and microwave-steamed broccoli for an easy, complete meal.

**Picture from About.com, because I forgot to take one**
Crockpot Apricot Chicken
adapted from About.com
serves 4 as written

4 frozen chicken breast halves (4-6 oz each)
1 c. apricot preserves (I used a jar of the sugar free kind)
1 package dry onion soup mix
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/4 tsp. pepper
salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Place chicken breasts (frozen is ok) in 3-4 quart slow cooker. Mix all other ingredients and pour over chicken, turning chicken to coat.

Cover crockpot and cook 8 hours on low (less if your chicken was thawed), or until chicken is thoroughly cooked and tender.

If you like you can thicken the sauce with a little cornstarch before serving. Combine 2 Tbsp. of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp. chicken stock and mix until smooth. Stir into crockpot juices, turn to high for 10-15 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve over rice or pasta. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment