Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bacon, Potato and Cabbage Soup

I'm in the Irish spirit today, so to continue with our theme for dinner, I was determined to include some cabbage. I couldn't see us eating traditional cabbage, but I found this recipe online and it got GREAT reviews. I'm not sure I would call this the best soup I've ever had, but it was really good (even if the picture doesn't look it)!"Irish Bacon and Cabbage Soup" aka Bacon, Potato and Cabbage Soup
adapted from allrecipes, serves 4

1/2 lb Irish bacon, diced (what's Irish bacon???? I looked, but Meijer didn't have any. We used regular. Pancetta would work too.)
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (I used 4 smallish red-skin; cube pretty small so they don't take too long to cook)
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
1 c. chicken stock, or as needed (I needed 2 cups liquid, I used 1 c. homemade stock, and 1 c. water since the stock was strong)
salt and black pepper to taste
2 c. thinly sliced dark green Savoy cabbage leaves

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place bacon in medium-large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown, drain off excess fat.
2. Stir in potatoes, tomatoes, and enough chicken stock/water to cover. Season with salt and pepper (this can handle quite a bit of seasoning, don't be shy!). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer 20 min or until potatoes are tender.
3. Stir in cabbage and allow soup to simmer a few minutes longer before serving. Enjoy!

REVIEW:
This was VERY good, we both liked it. And the recipe was really simple! The cabbage adds a nice bite tot he soup, without being too crunchy or "chewy." There weren't a lot of leftovers, so make a double-triple batch if you are serving a crowd or planned this as a main course. I served it with corned beef and Irish soda bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment