As in, fried potato sticks. With a craving for fries and some potatoes laying around, Josh pulled out our mini-deep fryer again. We don't use this much, but every once in a while, its a nice treat.
serves 1-2, adapted from Food Network, Food 911
1 large russet potato
3 cups ice water
1 Tbsp sugar
Canola oil for frying
Salt for topping
1. Slice potatoes to uniform thickness
2. Dissolve sugar in water. Soak the potato slices in water for a few minutes. Pat dry before frying.
3. Heat canola oil to 325 deg F. Par-fry potato slices for ~3 minutes, remove to a plate and place in the fridge.
4. Increase oil temp to 375 deg F. Add fries, and fry an additional 4 minutes, or until desired crispy-ness.
4. Remove to a paper towel to rain off the excess oil. Top with salt.
This method resulted in french fries with a bit of a bite to them - not the soggy, oily, limp fries you get at some fast food joints. A nice treat to curb the craving!