Sunday, August 23, 2009

Butternut Squash Fries

I love making sweet potato fries. They are so tasty! I got the idea to use butternut squash instead from Cara's Cravings - Cara is such an inventive chef who finds very healthy alternatives to traditional dishes. I can't seem to find the specific recipe on her site, but the link I used references her grilling her squash fries. That is also a great option. I baked mine like I bake my sweet potato fries, but try these either way. They are such a healthier alternative to standard french fries, and tastier in my opinion!

Butternut Squash Fries
serves 2

1 butternut squash, sliced as uniformly as possible
olive oil spray
salt
pepper
chili powder

DIRECTIONS:
1. Par-boil the butternut squash for a couple of minutes, then plunge in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
2. Spray squash slices with olive oil cooking spray, and toss with salt, pepper, and chili powder, to taste.
3. Spread out on a foil-lined sheet pan, and bake at 425 deg F for about 30 min, flipping half-way through. You will want to watch these carefully to determine done-ness, it depends on how long you boiled them for and how thick you cut them. Remove them when the edges start to brown.
Enjoy

REVIEW:
I love these, and they are even healthier than sweet potato fries. These will definitely be a regular in my side-rotation, especially now that butternut squash are coming into season.

No comments:

Post a Comment