Sunday, April 19, 2009

Easy Italian Green Beans

I feel kind of guilty calling this a recipe, since it is sooo easy! My sister-in-law made this as a side for dinner once, and I loved it. She told me the recipe, and I may have changed the amounts a little over time, but this is what works for us.Easy Italian Green Beans

1 lb. fresh green beans, ends trimmed
1/4 c. butter (I used 2 Tbsp. butter and 2 Tbsp. olive oil)
1/2 c. Italian dressing (I use Kraft Free Zesty Italian)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil. Add green beans and stir to coat.2. Add Italian dressing (I eyeball it, and I probably use a little more than 1/2 c.) and stir to coat.3. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally. Don't let the green beans get too soft. I like to take off the cover for the last ~3 minutes or so to let some of the dressing carmelize a bit.
4. Serve and enjoy!

REVIEW:
This time we had some leftover meat from Easter (ham and sausage), and I just needed to make a vegetable for dinner. This is a go-to side for me when green beans look good at the grocery store (its also pretty cheap to make). You could make it lighter by reducing the fat (butter/oil) in the recipe. Originally I think it called for a 1/2 c. butter, so I already cut it in half and it still tastes great. Top with some slivered almonds for a prettier presentation. Thanks Sarah!

1 comment:

  1. I wished my husband liked green beans.... this looks like a wonderful side dish!

    ReplyDelete