Sunday, April 5, 2009

Kay's Braised Chicken

I came across this recipe on the Pioneer Woman Cooks site, and the colors totally caught my attention. I knew I had to make it! I invited some family up for dinner, and this was a hit! It was very fragrant (the cinnamon does amazing things for the taste and smell) and very tasty, and this recipe was pretty easy to put together. (Of course, my dish doesn't look quite as colorful as Kay's.... but I'm working on that.)
Kay's Braised Chicken, via PW
serves 3 as posted here, I (almost) doubled this recipe

3 chicken quarters (I used 5 quarters and 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves)
3 tomatoes (I still only used 3)
2 bell peppers (I used 3 - 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green)
1 large onion (I used 1 really BIG onion)
3 tomatoes (I still only used 3 tomatoes)
1/2 cup chicken broth (I used ~1 cup low sodium)
3 garlic cloves (I used 5)
1/8 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika powder
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp (heaping) cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp oil (I used olive oil)

chili pepper - optional (I omitted)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Get a big roasting pan out (I had to get my turkey roasting pan, minus the rack, up from its cozy home in the basement. I try hard to use that thing more than once a year.) Edit: Fine. Josh had to get the pan from the basement. I avoid going down there.
2. Slice the bell peppers and onion, and chop the tomatoes, and slice up the chili pepper if using. Clean up the chicken pieces, but leave the skin on. (Or take it off. But the recipe leaves it on. I guess its up to you.)
3. Grate/mince/or press the garlic into a small bowl. Add oil, cumin, paprika, curry powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix together. This is your fragrant, yummy, marinade. Set aside for the moment.
4. Generously season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a little oil in a skillet and brown up the chicken a bit on both sides (1-2 min each side on med-high heat). Then put the pieces in a single layer in your roasting pan.
5. Brush the chicken with half of the marinade. Instant color boost!
6. Spread the bell pepper slices and onion slices (and chili pepper if using) around the chicken. Place a few slices underneath and on top of the chicken. Lightly and haphazardly dab the peppers an onions with the other half of the marinade.
7. Add the diced tomatoes to the top of everything, trying to distribute them evenly.8. Pour the chicken broth into the bottom of the pan, pouring down the side of the roasting pan so that you don't wash the marinade off the chicken and veggies.
9. Bake for 1 hour at 350 deg F. (Mine took 1 hr 15 min.) Halfway through baking, remove the pan, flip over the vegetables, and spoon some of the juices back over the chicken. Put it back in for at least another 30 min, or until the chicken is done.(Josh said he deserves a shout out for his photography help. He took to pics of me marinating the chicken. And then when it was done, I made him carry the hot pan - yes, with potholders - over by the window and hold it so I could get better lighting. Oh, the things he endures for this blog :) )

10. Enjoy! (I served with rolls, but a side salad would be a good idea too).

REVIEW:
This was excellent. They flavors were great, and the chicken was incredibly tender and moist. It almost fell off the bone! The ONLY thing - I should have doubled the marinade part of the recipe too. I just used a little extra of each spice - I didn't want anything too strong in flavor for my guests, but at the end I was trying to stretch the marinade to cover the veggies. More would have added to the flavor of the juices the chicken was baking in, only helping the chicken get more flavor. We will definitely make this again. Also, I saved the pan juices. I let the fat solidify on top, and skimmed it off. I intend to use the broth to make some amazingly seasoned rice in the near future. I can only imagine how good that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment