Monday, July 27, 2009

Blueberry Whole Wheat Muffins

These are healthy muffins. If you want a sweet, dessert-type muffin, go elsewhere. I felt zero-guilt grabbing one of these bad boys to curb a carb craving - at ~90 calories and 5 g protein each, they are a great snack.

Blueberry Whole Wheat Muffins
kind of adapted from Katie's Raisin Bran muffins
makes 12 muffins

1 c. wheat germ
1 c. skim milk
1/3 c. unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp plain lowfat yogurt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 1/2 Tbsp Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2/3 tsp salt
1/2 c. blueberries

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a 12 cup muffin tin.
2. In medium bowl, combine wheat germ and milk and soak for 10 minutes.
3. In large bowl, combine applesauce, yogurt, egg, vanilla and Splenda, whisking to combine well.
4. In medium bowl, add flour, powder, soda, salt and whisk to combine; set aside.
5. Add bran mixture to wet ingredients, as well as dry ingredients and gently fold in until just combined.
6. Fold blueberries into the mixture.
7. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, dividing equally. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
8. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes in tins. Place on wire rack and let cool completely.
REVIEW:
I found these to be a good, healthy snack that was easy to grab on the go. I stored them in my freezer and zapped in the microwave for 15 seconds to defrost when I wanted one. Ok, fine. So these were a tad dry (after they were frozen). But that didn't bother me, because they were 90 cal/1 g fat / 14 g carb / 2 g fiber / 5 g protein each. A good simple recipe that I'll tweak a bit in the future (the original recipe called for mashed banana - I think I'll leave that in next time).

3 comments:

  1. Nikki,

    You won the Kellogg's coupons from my blog contest and I'm trying to contact you! Please email me through my site! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all about a healthy, diet-friendly muffin and these look really good. Thanks for a new recipe!

    ReplyDelete