Monday, July 27, 2009

Taco Pasta Salad

This pasta salad has received great reviews on other blogs, so I had it on my list of things to try. When Josh and I were headed to a BBQ this past weekend, I knew just what to bring for our dish to pass. This salad is reminiscent of a taco salad - minus the Doritos and lettuce. Which means, the leftovers save well :) I also really liked the fact that there were a lot of non-traditional BBQ-salad components: beans, corn, avocado and cilantro with a chili-lime vinaigrette. And no mayo meant I wasn't concerned about how long it was out. There was a TON of food at this BBQ so I took no offense to the fact that I had plenty to bring home - beware, this recipe definitely makes enough for a crowd!

Wagon Wheel Taco Pasta Salad
recipe from Cara's Cravings

1lb wagon wheel pasta (could not find this, so I used 1 lb radiatore, any small shape will do)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 10oz package frozen corn (I don't even bother thawing it, because I always make this at least a few hours before serving, so it plenty of time to defrost)
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
8oz shredded Mexican-blend cheese
1 1/2 cups salsa
1/2 cup olive oil (I cut back to about 1/3 c)
3-4 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp cumin
1-2 tsp chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
freshly ground salt & pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 avocado, diced

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
2. In a large bowl, combine the black beans, corn, tomatoes, salsa, and cheese. Add the cooled pasta and mix well.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin and chili powder. Pour over the pasta salad, add the cilantro, and mix well. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
4. Just before serving, stir in the diced avocado.
REVIEW:
Very good and well received with the crowd. Its not too spicy, but has a good flavor from the chili powder and lime juice. If I weren't watching my carbs, I'd make a batch of this just to eat at home (add some grilled chicken for a complete meal)!

1 comment:

  1. I made this for a lunch for friends (main dish). Added some chicken that i baked with some mexican seasoning on it & used wagon wheel pasta. Next time i'll use radiatore cause the wagon wheel pasta broke apart during mixing. was delicious & well received by my guests! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete