Monday, July 6, 2009

Garden surplus: Cilantro Pesto

Our garden is now producing at a rate we can't keep up with, and I had a bunch of spinach and cilantro to use. I made spinach pesto before, so I got the idea to make some cilantro pesto. I found a recipe on Food alla Puttanesca, and lightened it up a bit.

Because we weren't about to have a huge dinner of various-pesto pastas, I portioned each pesto out into an ice cube tray and froze them. I transferred each kind to a Ziploc and put it back in the freezer. It is super easy to grab and few to thaw them and toss with pasta, put on a sandwich, or over chicken breast!Cilantro Pesto
adapted from Food alla Puttanesca

2 to 3 cups cilantro, packed
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 c. walnuts
1/3 c. olive oil
2 Tbsp. water
3 large garlic cloves
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a food processor, combine cilantro, walnuts, and garlic. Pulse to combine.
2. Slowly add olive oil in a stream while food processor is running, scraping down the sides of the food processor as needed. Add the cheese and pulse again until blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment