Prize-Winning Baby Back Ribs
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste (I barely used any of either)
3 pounds baby back pork ribs
1 c barbeque sauce (I mixed some Jack Daniels and Open Pit together)DIRECTIONS:
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- In a small jar, combine cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Close the lid, and shake to mix.
- Trim the membrane sheath from the back of each rack. Run a small, sharp knife between the membrane and each rib, and snip off the membrane as much as possible. Sprinkle as much of the rub onto both sides of the ribs as desired. To prevent the ribs from becoming too dark and spicy, do not thoroughly rub the spices into the ribs. Store the unused portion of the spice mix for future use.
- Place aluminum foil on lower rack to capture drippings and prevent flare-ups. Lightly oil grate, and lay ribs on top rack of grill. Reduce heat to low, close lid, and leave undisturbed for 1 hour. Do not lift lid at all.
- Brush ribs with barbecue sauce, and grill an additional 5-15 minutes. Serve ribs as whole rack, or cut between each rib bone and pile individually on a platter.
These were awesome (yes, even though I boiled them first). I served with some grilled corn and Italian green beans for a very satisfying dinner!