Thursday, October 22, 2009

Broccoli Cheese Soup

With the temps getting chilly here, there was nothing more comforting on a Sunday afternoon spent watching football than broccoli cheese soup. I saw this on Lindsay's blog last week, and since I had the ingredients on hand, it was on the weekend menu!
I'm slightly ashamed to admit, but I had the Velveeta on hand that the recipe suggested. I also added in a little Swiss, but Lindsay just used a bunch of varieties of shredded cheese she had on hand, so I'm sure that would work as well. Also - the entire recipe is posted below, but that is enough to feed an army! I made a third of it - and it was still plenty for dinner for Josh and I, with leftovers for lunch the next day.

Broccoli Cheese Soup
originally from allrecipes.com; serves 8 (or more) as written

3 (~10 oz) packages frozen chopped broccoli
3 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth (I used homemade veggie stock)
6 tbsp margarine
1 onion, chopped
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. milk (I used skim and it turned out fine)
1.5 lbs processed cheese food (i.e. Velveeta), cubed (about 12 oz of cheese total, see notes in review below)
1 pinch ground white pepper (who has white pepper? I used regular!)

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large pot over medium heat, simmer the broccoli in the broth for 15 minutes. In a separate skillet over medium heat, melt the butter or margarine, add the onions and saute for 5 minutes, or to desired tenderness.

2. Add the flour to the onions and stir well, forming a pasty substance. Gradually add the milk and stir until thick. Add this mixture to the broccoli mixture in the pot and stir well. (It might not look appetizing at this point, but keep going!) Then add the cheese, stirring until melted. Finally, add the pepper. (Note: Be careful not to let the soup boil, or the cheese will break down.)

REVIEW:
This was really good, but I thought it was a little too cheesy, to Velveeta-y actually. Next time, I will either sub half of the Velveeta for shredded cheddar, or not use Velveeta at all (since I rarely keep it on hand and it was kind of a fluke this time) and use a combo of shredded cheeses. I think cheddar and 5-cheese Italian would be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment