Thursday, October 8, 2009

Crockpot Salsa Chicken

I have probably made this dish at last 3 time since I started this blog, maybe as many as 5. It is simple, delicious, and relatively healthy. Yet, I've never posted it. Why? Because every picture I take of it looks like a pile of crap. Ok, a shredded pile of crap.
See, I told you so. Please, don't let the picture deter you! This is super yummy, and we make it a lot because I often have the ingredients on hand. I recommend eating this over rice or in a tortilla, or even with tortilla chips.

Crockpot Salsa Chicken
From sparkrecipes.com, via Foodislove's blog
serves 4-6, depending on what you serve with it

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, frozen
1 cup salsa (we use about 1.25 cups)
1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup condensed (you can also use cream of chicken)
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

DIRECTIONS:
1. Add frozen chicken to the crockpot…I promise it is ok to put it in there frozen!
2. Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken
3. Mix salsa and soup in small bowl, then pour mixture over chicken
4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours (time will vary, mine is generally done in ~6 hours, but I have left it in there for 10-12 and it is still fine too)
5. When ready to eat, remove from heat and stir in sour cream. At this step, I prefer to shred the chicken with a fork… it always shreds really easily. (Remove each chicken breast from the crockpot, then I usually use two forks and just keep pulling it apart, then add back to the crock and stir.)
6. Serve on tortillas, over rice, or however else you want. Enjoy!REVIEW:
Like I said - we LOVE this. I even eat it plain when I'm trying to limit my carbs for the day, and J will either wrap it in a tortilla or use it as a dip for tortilla chips (scoops work best). Very yummy, and easy to throw together in the morning before work!

No comments:

Post a Comment