Monday, November 2, 2009

Pomegranate Chicken (or Balsamic Chicken)

I have had this recipe for Balsamic Chicken bookmarked for so long, I entirely forgot about it. I finally went to make it tonight, and I was out of balsamic vinegar. I did have some Pomegranate Red Wine vinegar on hand, so I substituted that 1:1, and I think it turned out great. I do plan to try this again with balsamic vinegar, but I expect great results with that as well.

This recipe is actually pretty light, but to cut calories even more, skip flouring and frying the chicken and instead bake, broil, or grill it. The real flavor is in the sauce, so you won't be losing that component.

Pomegranate Chicken
adapted from Simple, but Delicious (original source)

1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup pomegranate red wine vinegar (or use balsamic)
2 teaspoons honey
1/2 Tbsp butter
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
4 (5-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (I used 2 large)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
5 garlic cloves
pomegranate seeds (optional, for garnish)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine broth, vinegar, and honey in small bowl, whisk to combine.
2. Pound chicken to 1/4-1/2 inch thick and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Melt butter and oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Place flour in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour; shake off excess flour. Increase heat to medium-high; heat 2 minutes or until the butter turns golden brown. Add chicken to pan; cook 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
3. Add garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Add the broth mixture, scraping to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil, and cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 3 minutes). Serve sauce over chicken.
4. Garnish with pomegranate seeds, if desired. (I didn't have any.)

REVIEW:
I served this over rice and with a green veggie, and thought both were a good accompaniment. This sauce was very good, I can't wait to try it with the original intended ingredient (balsamic vinegar). When making the sauce, be careful to not over-reduce; you will make very sticky sugar if you aren't careful! Also, this dinner took less than 20 minutes to pull together, which is a huge plus in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment