Thursday, November 5, 2009

Roasted Acorn Squash

I've been trying new things lately, and I picked up a large acorn squash from the last Farmer's Market of the season. Most types of squash can easily be roasted, so that is all I did with this. I rubbed it with a little butter and brown sugar, but I also saw a maple-chipotle recipe that sounded good, and the cooking method is the same.Roasted Acorn Squash

1 acorn squash
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp maple syrup (I used a sugar free syrup)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 400 deg F.
2. Using a very sharp knife, cut the squash in half (through the stem). Scoop out the the seeds and centers. Make a few slices into the flesh of the squash to aid the roasting process.
3. Rub half the butter and brown sugar on each half on the squash and then drizzle with just a little maple syrup.
4. Place the squash in a pan filled with about 1/4 water to prevent burning the skin or drying out the squash. Bake at 400 deg F for 1 hour, or until fork tender. Do not under-bake.
5. I choose to scoop out the flesh and serve. Enjoy!REVIEW:
This was very simple to make, roasting it just takes a while. It is not very sweet, just enough to complement the flavor of the squash. We had one large squash, and the two of us only ate half of it. I'm looking forward to leftovers!

1 comment:

  1. my favorite is to fill the cavity with stuffing and roast them then it's 1 less bowl on the table more room for desert

    ReplyDelete