Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes

This is a very tasty mashed potato recipe, according to Josh anyways. I have made them for Thanksgiving the past 2 years, and I usually double the recipe below for a crowd.(Please disregard the picture [that Josh took]. I would probably be better off just not posting one. This is a pile of leftovers, since I forgot to take a picture 1 - when I made them, and 2 - when I served them. They definitely taste better than they look in this picture!)

Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
adapted from allrecipes

1 medium head garlic
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2.5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 stick salted butter
1/2 c. sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Drizzle whole head of garlic with olive oil, then wrap in aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
2. Bring a large pot of slated water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until fork tender, about 15-30 minutes depending on their size. Drain, and place in a large bowl. Begin the mashing process, and add butter, sour cream, and salt and pepper. (I actually prefer to blend my potatoes with my hand mixer.)
3. Remove the garlic from the oven and cut in half horizontally. Squeeze the softened cloves into the potatoes. Blend the potatoes with an electric mixer until desired consistency is achieved. (If the potatoes are too thick, you can add a little milk if desired.)

REVIEW:
Always a hit! The garlic adds a a nice flavor to these potatoes, and the sour cream and butter do make them a little richer. If you do not have sour cream, you could substitute milk instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment