I had a chuck roast in the fridge to use up, and Josh requested a crock pot roast. I didn't have any of the regular veggies I toss in the crockpot (celery, carrots, onions, potatoes) so I was on the search for something different. I found this recipe from the crockpot lady, and served the roast with some corn and herb toast.3-Packet Pot Roast in the Crockpot
serves 4-6, depending on roast size
~3 lb chuck roast
1 packet ranch salad dressing and seasoning mix
1 packet Italian salad dressing mix
1/2 packet Grill Mates peppercorn and garlic seasoning (the original recipe calls for a whole packet, but the pepper taste is just too strong!)
1 to 2 cups of water
(you could toss in some of the veggies I mentioned earlier if you wanted)
1. Place the roast in the crockpot.
2. Mix all the seasonings together in a bowl and pour on top of the meat. Flip the meat over a few times to coat it with the seasoning.
3. Add 1-2 cups of water, until the meat is almost covered.
4. Turn on low and cook for 8 hours, or on high for 4-5.
5. Dinner is served! Josh wanted gravy with ours, so I had him whisk in some flour to the juices left in the crock pot after removing the meat. He probably whisked in ~1/4 cup of flour, turned the crock on high, and the gravy just thickened right up.REVIEW:
You really only need 1/2 of a packet of the peppercorn seasoning. We used a whole packet, and the pepper taste was very strong, especially in the gravy. Other than that, this was a very tasty meal! The roast was so tender, just how we like it. It was also easy, Josh actually put it together while I was at work. All day long he commented how good it smelled!