Monday, May 11, 2009

PW's Whiskey Glazed Carrots

I have had my eye on this recipe from Pioneer Woman for a while, but didn't have the right occasion to make it. I needed to bring a side for a salmon-lunch for Mother's Day, so I decided I would make these. I really like how they are so colorful on a table and look very elegant.
PW's Whiskey Glazed Carrots
serves a crowd

2-3 lbs of carrots, peeled and sliced thick (I used a 2lb bag of the minis)
1 stick (1/2 c.) butter (yikes! I used 1/4 c. and that was enough)
1/2 c. whiskey (I used Jack Daniels)
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
freshly ground pepper
fresh herbs for topping (chives are recommended; I used dried)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add carrots in two batches, cooking for 60 to 90 seconds each batch so they are slightly seared. Remove from skillet.
2. Pour in whiskey and allow to evaporate 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium, and add remaining butter. (Be careful whenever adding alcohol over an open flame!)
3. When butter melts, sprinkle brown sugar over the top.
4. Stir together, then add carrots to skillet. Cover, and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
5. Remove lid and add salt and pepper. Continue cooking until carrots are done and glaze is thick, about 5 more minutes.
6. Pour onto a platter and serve immediately. Sprinkle with chopped chives if desired.REVIEW:
These were good. The glaze was a little thinner than I expected, but I just poured it all in the serving bowl anyways. Steamed carrots are always better with a little brown sugar and whiskey!

1 comment: