Sunday, May 10, 2009

Ricotta Creme

Anyone who has tried the South Beach Diet has heard of these. If you are looking for a low-carb, sugar-free dessert this is it. I'm not doing South Beach right now, but I am always on the look out for desserts that won't bust my diet. I have a serious sweet tooth! These are a nice after dinner snack that (usually) satisfies my craving.There are a lot of ways to alter this dessert; my favorites are below.

Ricotta Creme, so many ways

adapted from the South Beach Diet book

1/2 c. low-fat Ricotta cheese
1 Tbsp. no-calorie sweetener (I use Splenda)

Plus:
Lemon: 1 tsp. lemon extract + 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
Pumpkin Pie: 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice + a dollop of sugar free cool whip
Chocolate: 1 tsp. cocoa powder + 5 mini chocolate chips on top
Vanilla: 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Almond: 1 tsp. almond extract plus a few slivered almonds on top

DIRECTIONS:
1. Mix the ricotta cheese, sweetener, and spices or extracts together. Add toppings. Enjoy!REVIEW:
This is a really quick, easy treat. I love how it is so versatile to adjust the flavors. Other combos I want to try are cinnamon-sugar (just add a little more sweetener and 1 tsp. cinnamon, maybe a dash of nutmeg) and orange (orange extract and orange zest). The calories vary a little depending on what ricotta cheese you use, but are usually around 120 cals for a 1/2 c. dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment