Friday, May 29, 2009

Strawberry Swiss Roll

I wanted to bring my mom a treat for Mother's Day, and I had some strawberries to use up. I debated making the strawberry cake I made a few weeks ago, but I really didn't have the time to decorate it. I found this on Cate's blog, and used fresh berries for the filling. It was quite quick to make, looks fancy, and tasted light and delicious!
Strawberry Swiss Roll
from Baking From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
4 large eggs, separated
1/2 c. vegetable oil (I used unsweetened applesauce)
1/2 c. water
2 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup jam of your choice (I used pureed strawberries, thicken with a little cornstarch on the stovetop - bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes, then cool before using)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 17 1/2 by 12 1/2 inch jelly roll pan with parchment and spray well with nonstick spray.
2. Sift together 1 cup of sugar, the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda onto a piece of waxed paper.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the yolks, oil, water, and vanilla. Whisk in the dry ingredients gradually and set aside.
4. Beat the 6 egg whites with the whisk attachment of a stand mixer on medium until very soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, and turn up to high. Beat until the peaks are stiff and shiny.
5. Fold about a third of the whipped whites into the yolk mixture, then transfer all the batter into the whites and fold thoroughly (but gently).
6. Pour into the pan and spread evenly. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until it pulls away from the sides and is just turning golden.
7. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack.
8. When cool, dust the cake with powdered sugar, cover with wax paper, and put the back of a sheet pan on top. Flip over, and remove the parchment from the cake. Cover the bottom of the cake with wax paper, then invert the jelly roll pan on the cake and flip over again, so the cake is on the inverted jelly roll pan with wax paper on the bottom.
9. Trim the edges, and turn the cake so that a long side is facing you. (I didn't trim the edges of mine, I waited until after I rolled it and ate the ends as samples!)
10. Spread with jam (or whatever fruit filling you are using) and roll up, using the wax paper to help. **You want a fairly thin layer of jam, or else it will all squirt out as you roll** Lift the cake by the paper and place on a tray. Chill for about 30 minutes.
11. Dust with powdered sugar before serving. Enjoy!REVIEW:
This cake roll was awesome. Its the first Dorie recipe I have ever tried, and I think I will make more! I was intimidated by the recipe at first since I have never made a cake roll before, but the cake was perfectly flexible for rolling without cracking. I had to scoop out some of the filling as I was rolling it because it was obvious I over-filled it, but other than that, I have no problems. It was actually quite quick to make since it only bakes for 12 minutes. I highly recommend trying this recipe!

1 comment: