Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The BEST Sugar Cut-Out Cookies

If you have been looking for the perfect cut-out sugar cookie recipe, stop right here. Er, stop, right here. Katie, via her friend Ashlee, has found it! These cookies were nice and stiff, and didn't spread while baking.

I made some hearts for Valentine's Day, and decorated them with Royal Icing (yes, this took me some time and patience.) But I was really happy with the result!


Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 c. butter - yes, 3 sticks!
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. powdered sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract (I omitted, but I'm sure it would be better with)
1 Tbsp lemon zest
5 c. flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cream butter and sugars in a mixer for 5 minutes.
3. Add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly.
4. Add vanilla, almond, and lemon zest.
5. Sift in flour, baking powder, and salt a little at a time. Do not over mix, this process should take about one minute.
6. Chill dough for up to a week in the fridge, or roll out and cut right away.
7. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and bake cookies for 7-8 minutes. Wait until cookies are cooled before icing. I found that this recipe made ~45 medium-sized, thick cookies.

I use this royal icing recipe. I outlined each cookie, then filled, then went back and wrote the words once the other icing was dry.
REVIEW:
Some people thought these were bought from a professional bakery (thanks mom!). They are the perfect cookie, and a recipe I will always keep on hand. Delicious, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment