Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Garlic and Herb Pot Poast

A while back, I tried to cook a beef eye roast and wasn't really happy with it. It tasted fine, but I decided I wouldn't buy that cut of meat again. You'll never guess what I found in my freezer... apparently it was on sale some other time (January according to the date I wrote on the bag) and I stashed it away. I figured this time we would try it in the crock pot. This roast came out quite moist, but I would still recommend a different cut of beef with it.

Garlic and Herb Pot Roast
serves 4-6

~3 lb roast
2 packets onion soup mix (I used the Lipton Herb and Garlic Onion Soup mix, it comes 2 packets to a box)
3 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 small white onions, quartered
1/2 cup carrot pieces (I cut bagged carrot sticks in half)
3 small red potatoes, quartered
4 cloves garlic peeled
1/2 c. beef broth
1/2 c. waterNote: if you have a bigger crock pot, you can up the veggies to help fill the space. I love the veggies, but I am space limited with my 4 (or maybe 5?) qt. crock. Skip in veggies you don't like. I add the potatoes to satisfy my hubby ;)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Put veggies and garlic in crock pot. Set cut of beef on top of veggies. Sprinkle seasoning packet over beef and veggies. Pour beef broth and water over everything.
2. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Remove the veggies and beef from the broth. Slice and serve. You could use the broth to make a gravy, but I didn't.
REVIEW:
The flavors were good and the meat was moist, but not as tender as I like. I think this is more due to the cut of meat than the recipe though. Just don't use an eye roast!

No comments:

Post a Comment