Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Southwest Chicken Chili

Fast. Easy. Cheap. Yummy. What more could you ask for?? Seriously, you won't find a chili recipe any faster or easier than this! Cleaning and cutting up the chicken is the hardest part.
I got this recipe from a friend a couple years ago, and pulled it out since its been cold and rainy here. I make this at least once a winter, but I haven't this season yet, and it was time. I served this with some cornbread muffins (the Jiffy mix in the $0.39 box). If you are on a budget, this is a really inexpensive meal, and its pretty healthy too (minus the muffins).

15-min Southwest Chicken Chili
serves 4 (and it took me 20 min. the same way 30 minute meals always take me at least 40.)

1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1.5 Tbsp chili powder
1.5 Tbsp cumin
(2) 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes (I used low sodium, and one was "with green chilis")
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained (you could use red beans)
4.5 oz can diced green chilis
1 cup whole kernel corn, frozen or canned (I just used the whole can)
cayenne pepper and salt to taste (we were out of cayenne, so I added a few dashes of Tabasco)

DIRECTIONS:
1. In large pot, saute chicken pieces in olive oil for 5 minutes or until white. Stir in chili powder and cumin to coat chicken. Saute 3-4 minutes.
2. Add remaining ingredients and heat through. (This recipe can take quite a bit of spice/heat, be sure to taste it and add more seasoning if needed. Josh and I like things pretty hot.) Enjoy!

See. Told you it was easy.

REVIEW
This was a winner with us. And we have enough left for both of us for lunch tomorrow. I really should make this more often...

No comments:

Post a Comment