Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Oreo Cream Pie

Josh was going to go on a canoe trip this weekend, and he was assigned to bring dessert for one night. He wanted to bring pies, so I volunteered to make some. I picked up this recipe on cd kitchen and it sounded really good. Instead of buying a pre-made crust, I made my own.

Oreo Cream Pie

Crust:
2 c. crushed Oreos (I used my food processor)
4 Tbsp melted butter
(or a 9-inch pre-made graham cracker or Oreo crust)

Pie:
4 oz cream cheese; softened (I used 1/3 less fat)
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 small packet instant vanilla pudding
(I used sugar free... don't tell the guys!)
8 oz cool whip (I used light)

1 1/2 cup milk
(I used skim)
10 Oreo cookies; crushed (I used about 25 of the minis, processed in my food processor)
1/2 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS:
1. To make the crust, mix 2 cups of the crushed Oreos with the melted butter in a bowl. Press into a pie plate (I used the aluminum shells this time) and refrigerate while making the pie filling.
2. For the filling: Beat the cream cheese and sugar together.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the pudding and milk until think. Measure out 1/2 cup of the pudding, that is all you will need. (The left over pudding is a little thicker than normal pudding, so added a little more milk, then stuck in the fridge for a snack for later) .
4. Add the cool whip and vanilla to the 1/2 cup of pudding.
5. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture, stirring well.
6. Layer the pudding mixture and cookie crumbs into the shell, beginning with a layer of pudding mixture and reserving enough cookie crumbs to cover the top. Chill before serving. Enjoy!

REVIEW:
Once I made this, I wasn't too impressed with the recipe. I'm sure it will be a yummy cream pie, just not as stiff as I was expecting (I added the word "cream" to the title since it is definitely a cream pie). The powdered sugar makes it pretty sweet, so I'm happy I went with sugar free pudding and cool whip.
Update: Josh ended up not going. So I took this when we went to visit my family, and everyone gave it two thumbs up!


No comments:

Post a Comment