Sunday, March 29, 2009

Curried Chicken Salad

I was watching the Food Network on Saturday morning, and Ellie made this on her show. I had just bought some red grapes, so I decided to make some for dinner tonight and for me to take to work for lunches this week.Curried Chicken Salad
~4 servings

1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked (I poached mine)
1/4 c. sliced almonds
1/2 c. nonfat plain yogurt
2 Tbsp mayonnaise (I used light)
1 tsp curry powder
1 c. halved red grapes (I also added 1 stalk chopped celery for some added crunch)
1/4 c. chopped cilantro leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cut the chicken into 1/4-inch dice (mine was a little larger). Toast the almonds in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant and beginning to turn golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise, and curry powder. Fold in the chicken, grapes and cilantro (and celery) and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
3. Serve in a sandwich or pita, plain in a bowl, or on top of some greens tossed with a little olive oil and lemon juice. Top the chicken salad with some of the toasted almonds. Enjoy!REVIEW:
This was only ok. I'm going to keep my eyes open for more chicken salad recipes that are light on the mayo. The curry and cilantro flavors were kind of over-powering in this dish. It is packed with protein though, and is a nice and healthy version of chicken salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment