Thursday, March 5, 2009

Eye of Round Roast

I bought an eye-of-round roast because it was on sale. I did some research and found out its a pretty tough cut of meat, but you could cook it with either dry or moist methods. I found this recipe on allrecipes, and the reviews said it came out very tender. I thought this was just 'eh'. I'll look up a crock pot recipe for next time.

High-temperature Eye of Round Roast

1 eye of round roast, about 3 lbs (I think our was closer to 2, and made ~4 servings)
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat the oven to 500 deg F.
2. Season the roast with salt and pepper and place in a roasting pan or baking dish. Do not cover or add water.
3. Place the roast in the preheated oven, reduce the temp to 475 deg F. Roast for 7 min per pound (we roasted for about 17 min), then turn off your oven (Yes, turn it OFF).
4. Now let the roast sit on the hot oven for about 2 1/2 hours. DO NOT open the oven door during this time! (Trust me, your roast will cook. Ours got a little too done for Josh's liking, so I would say 2 hours for a smaller roast would be enough.)
5. Remove the roast from the oven, the internal temp should be about 145 deg. Carve into slices and serve. I served with asparagus and seasoned toast.

REVIEW:
Josh didn't mind this, but I thought it was too tough. I was probably the cut of meat and not the recipe though. If I ever accidentally buy this again (I have a tendency to pick up whats on sale), I'll look for a "moist" method recipe to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment