made ~15 cupcakes
½ c. unsalted butter, softened
2/3 c. sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla extract (Shawna used orange extract, but I didn't have any)
Zest of 1 large orange (about 2 Tbsp)
1 ½ c. all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp. Baking powder
¼ tsp. Salt
¼ c. milk (I used skim)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly butter or line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract and orange zest.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
5. Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. (DO NOT OVERBAKE.) Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, frost with icing. If you want flat topped cupcakes then slice off the dome of each cupcake, with a sharp knife, before frosting.
The flavors in these are really nice and light. Mine came out a tad dry, but after consulting with some other ladies and Karen, it sounds like I overbaked them a bit. They stayed light in color, but I think they were done. I was too lazy to do the toothpick test. So you should do the toothpick test. That will save these glorious cupcakes! I topped with cream cheese frosting and some orange sugar, and they were still yummy.