Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Chicken Fettucine Alfredo

I made this a few weeks ago, but took pictures and noted my changes so I could add it to my blog when I got around to starting one. And here we are! This is one of Josh's favorite meals, so I thought I would surprise him and make it for our 6-month anniversary (everyone together now: awwww!).

I was looking for a new alfredo recipe to try and found one on allrecipes
, but tweaked it a little based on the comments. I sauted some red pepper and mushrooms and steamed some broccoli, grilled some chicken, and made some whole wheat fettucine. I just tossed everything together with the sauce once it was done, and it was fabulous!

Alfredo Sauce
serves 4

1/2 c. butter - 1 stick, unsalted
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
2 tsp garlic powder
(I used 4 cloves fresh garlic, pressed)
2 c. milk (I ended up using a little more than 2 cups, and it was skim milk)
6 oz grated Parmesan cheese (I only used 4 oz, light - yes, I really used less cheese cuz thats all we had!)
1/8 tsp ground black pepper (I used 1/4 tsp, and added about 1/4 tsp salt)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Melt butter in a medium, non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add pressed garlic cloves and saute 1 min.
2. Add cream cheese, stirring with wire whisk until smooth.
3. Add milk, a little at a time (!), whisking to smooth out lumps. (At first I only used about 1.5 cups of milk, but when I went to mix everything together, I thought the sauce was too thick, so I added a little more milk to get the consistency I wanted.)
4. Stir in Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Keep wisking (this part is important)! Remove from heat when sauce reaches desired consistency (about 3-5 min). Sauce will thicken rapidly, thin with milk if cooked too long.
5. Toss sauce with hot pasta, chicken, and veggies. Enjoy!

REVIEW:
Yummy! We liked this - it didn't taste cream-cheesy at all! And it really was easy. My sauce was definitely on the thick side - I think I just cooked it too long though.

No comments:

Post a Comment