Friday, March 6, 2009

Spicy Grilled Shrimp

Its beautiful here today (60 deg in Michigan in March!) so Josh and I decided we would pull out the grill tonight. Josh threw on a steak for himself, but I don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent. I had some shrimp in the freezer, so I thought I would marinate and skewer those to toss on the grill. I looked up a few recipes, but kind of tossed this together based on what sounded good and what I had on hand.

Spicy Grilled Shrimp
(serves 2 as posted)

14 large shrimp (I used frozen, cooked with tails on)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice (I used fresh squeezed and added ~ 1/2 tsp of zest as well)
2 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp ketchup
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp chopped basil (parsley would work too, but I didn't have any)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 skewers for grilling

DIRECTIONS:
1. Mix all ingredients except shrimp in a quart sized Ziploc bag and massage to mix. Toss shrimp in bag and let marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator . (I tossed my shrimp in frozen and let marinate all day while the shrimp thawed.)
2. Place shrimp on skewer, leaving a little space in between each shrimp.
3. Grill for a few minutes on each side, until pink. (Mine were already cooked, so I had Josh grill for ~1 minute on each side to heat through and get pretty grill marks.) Brush the extra marinade on the shrimp while grilling for added flavor.
4. Serve with some veggies or rice for a light healthy meal. Enjoy!

REVIEW:
These were super easy and really good! They were pretty spicy, but I tend to like things with a kick. Josh said these were tasty as well, but really enjoyed his steak :) He even wanted me to post a picture of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment