Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I've seen this recipe pop up on a couple of blogs I frequent, so I just had join the club and try it too. It appears to have originated on My Kitchen Cafe. It takes a little time to get going, but it was pretty easy, plus I had all the ingredients on hand. Bonus!
Sweet and Sour Chicken
serves 4

Chicken:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 2 very large breasts)
Salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil

Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt (I used garlic powder and some salt)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Wisk together sauce ingredients and set aside.

2. Heat oil in skillet over medium to med-high heat. Preheat oven to 325 deg F.

3. Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks (I did strips so there weren't quite so many pieces to handle in the following steps). Season with salt and pepper.


4. Dip chicken in cornstarch and then in egg. Fry in a little oil until brown but not cooked through - about 1 min each side. Place in a single layer in a baking dish (I used a 9x13 glass casserole).

5. Cover the chicken with sauce and bake for one hour at 325 degrees. Turn chicken every 15 minutes. If you like extra sauce, make another batch of sauce and bring it to a boil on the stovetop. Stir constantly and let cook over medium heat until thickened and reduced - about 6-8 minutes.

REVIEW:
I served over jasmine rice, and we both thought this was really good!

1 comment:

  1. I made this and everyone loved it!! I was amazed how the sauce thickened up in the oven!! veryone is requesting it, so I am making it again this week!! Since I know eat chicken I love this!!
    XOXO
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete